Aggies Host Gardner-Webb At Moore Gymnasium
North Carolina A&T (8-9, 1-0 MEAC) vs. Gardner-Webb (7-10, 1-4 Big South)
Date(s): Oct 3, 2017
Time(s): 6 p.m.
Facility: Moore Gymnasium (Greensboro, N.C.)
AGGIES OVERVIEW: The Aggies already have eight wins this season. Two more wins and the Aggies will have the most wins they have had since winning 17 in 2006. Another two wins also gives the Aggies the most wins they have had in the seven-year Hal Clifton era. The Aggies will conclude non—conference play against Gardner-Webb at Moore Gymnasium on Tuesday. N.C. A&T took down rival North Carolina Central in five sets last week, picking up their first conference win of the season.
GARDNER-WEBB OVERVIEW: Gardner-Webb opened the conference schedule at home last week. Their only victory came in five sets versus UNC Asheville (Sept. 26) before falling to both Charleston Southern (Sept. 29) and Winthrop (Sept. 30). The Bulldogs are averaging 11.3 kills, 1.2 aces, 13.4 digs and 2.4 blocks per set and hitting .175. Three players are averaging at least two kills with senior Kaelyn Dyson leading the way at 2.38 per set. Senior Nicole Celarek is second at 2.25 and redshirt junior Keira Moore averages 2.07. Junior Amanda Sahm handles the setting duties and is averaging 6.66 assists per set. Redshirt sophomore Emma Milstead leads the team with 4.30 digs per set, while Moore averages 1.27 blocks per set.
PITT EARNS MEAC CO-ROOKIE OF THE WEEK: Freshman outside hitter Courteney Pittwas named co-rookie of the week by the MEAC. Pitt was key in the Aggies five-set win over rival North Carolina Central to open conference play. She racked up 13 kills, while also chipping in a pair of service aces, two total blocks and three digs. She is the first N.C. A&T volleyball player to receive rookie of the week honors since Liz Martino did the same on October 14, 2013.
AGGIES RALLY, DOWN NCCU FOR MEAC VICTORY: The Aggies recorded season-highs with 67 digs and 15 service aces prevailing with a 3-2 win (25-15, 15-25, 22-25, 25-22, 15-10) over the N.C. Central Eagles in McDougald-McLendon Arena. For the fourth time in six matches the Aggies and the Eagles went five sets. Senior Samara Brown notched her fourth double-double of the season and 16th of her career with 14 kills and 10 digs. Freshman Courteney Pitt chipped in 13 kills while freshman Edie Brewer added nine kills and a team-high 31 assists. Freshman Milanna Morgan had a season-best 17 digs with three service aces, and sophomore Christa Wilson had 15 digs. Senior Jasmine Lindor tied a career-high with four service aces and senior Alyssa Pitt contributed five kills, seven assists and five digs.
MILESTONES TO WATCH: Edie Brewer is 132 assists shy of 500 this season. Samara Brown is 18 kills shy of 700 for her career. Milanna Morgan is 53 digs shy of 200. Alyssa Pitt is 46 kills shy of 500 for her career and 22 digs shy of 200.
NEWS AND NOTES:
- Freshman Edie Brewer comes into this week’s play ranked 12th in the nation in aces per set (0.52) while ranking 13th in service aces (32).
- As as a team, the Aggies are fourth in aces per set (1.87), seventh in team service aces (116) and 29th in opponent hitting percentage (.160).
- Brewer is second among MEAC players in service aces (32) and ninth in assists per set (5.94).
- Jasmine Lindor is sixth in blocks per set (0.90) and ninth in hitting percentage (.255).
- As a team, NC A&T is second in the league in service aces (116) and opponent hitting percentage (.160).
- Samara Brown recorded her 500th career dig at the NCCU (506). She came into the match four digs shy of 500. Brown had her 16th career double-double and fourth of the season with 14 kills and 10 digs at NCCU.
- Alyssa Pitt and younger sister Courteney Pitt are the only Aggies averaging more than two kills per set. Alyssa had a career-high nine assists last week in a win versus Norfolk State and currently leads the team with 130 kills (2.10 per set). Courteney follows with 120 kills (2.07) and has totaled eight blocks in her last seven matches.
- Milanna Morgan collected her seventh double-figure dig match of the season with a season-high 17 digs at NCCU to go along with a season-best three service aces. She is tied for third on the Aggies in service aces with 15.
- Christa Wilson had her 100th dig of the season and fourth double figure amount with 15 at NCCU. Brewer recorded her 100th kill of the season with a season-high nine against the Eagles.
- Thirty-one times this season, an Aggie has served at least two aces in a match. Brewer has done it 11 times, Lindor and Morgan have done it five times apiece, while Brown has done it on four occasions and Wilson and Alyssa Pitt have done it three times apiece.
- NC A&T is 5-1 when winning the opening set in five set matches. They are 2-7 this season when they lose the first set. The Aggies are 8-6 when posting more blocks than their opponents.
- Camille Uadiale has at least one block in her last 13 matches including a career-best seven against Norfolk State. She is second on the team with 45 total and has a team-high 13 solo blocks.
- Lindor leads N.C. A&T in total blocks (56) and has four or more blocks in seven matches. She tied a career-high with four service aces at NCCU.