Volleyball Heads South For Two Big MEAC Matchups
North Carolina A&T (12-11, 4-2) vs. Savannah State (3-22, 1-7); South Carolina State (1-22, 0-7)
Date(s): Friday, Nov. 3, 2017; Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017
Time(s): 7 p.m.; 6 p.m.
Facility: Willcox-Wiley Gymnasium (Savannah, Ga,); Dukes Gymnasium (Orangeburg, S.C.)
Series: A&T leads, 21-0; A&T leads, 34-10
AGGIES OVERVIEW: The Aggies travel south for their final road matches of the season, facing Savannah State on Friday and South Carolina State on Saturday. In early October, N.C. A&T defeated both teams in straight sets in Moore Gymnasium. After falling on the road to Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman, N.C. A&T returned home last week and swept North Carolina Central in three sets. The Aggies are 1-6 on the road this season.
WHAT’S NEXT? North Carolina A&T concludes their regular season with a pair of home matches in Moore Gymnasium, hosting Bethune-Cookman on Friday, Nov. 10 at 7 p.m., and Florida A&M on Sunday, Nov. 12 at 2 p.m.
SAVANNAH STATE OVERVIEW: Savannah State has lost four in a row after ending a 17-match losing streak with a five-set win at S.C. State. The Tigers are averaging 8.6 kills, 1.2 aces, 9.8 digs and 1.4 blocks per set, hitting .094 as a team. Freshman Amanda Rullan Vilanova and junior Jennifer Rosado are both averaging 1.51 kills per set pacing the attack while senior Alee Quint and freshman Salma Gonzalez split the setting duties with Quint leading the way at 4.27 assists per set, while Gonzalez is at 3.01. Defensively, freshman Leiri Melendez leads the way with 3.13 digs per set and redshirt freshman Tyran Cheanult averages 0.88 blocks per set. Quint did not have a kill on Oct. 6 versus the Aggies and Gonzalez only had three.
PREVIOUSLY VS. THE TIGERS: N.C. A&T are a perfect 21-0 against Savannah State dating back to 2002. The Aggies have 18 straight set sweeps in the all-time series. On Oct. 6, the Tigers struggled throughout the night, committing 26 errors leading to the Aggies win (25-22, 14, 17) in Moore Gym. Edie Brewer posted a season-high hitting percentage of .643 on nine kills, zero attack errors and 14 attempts. Samara Brown also had nine kills while the Aggies collected seven team blocks led by the duo of Camille Uadiale and Jasmine Lindor. Uadaile had four total blocks and Lindor chipped in with three blocks and six kills.
S.C. STATE OVERVIEW: S.C. State dropped 11 consecutive matches with their only victory of the season being a five-set win against Norfolk State in late September. The Bulldogs are averaging 8.5 kills, 1.3 aces, 11.4 digs and 1.4 blocks per set, hitting .071 as a team. Two players are averaging at least two kills led by freshman Alexus Holt’s 3.01 and junior Brianna Dafney’s 2.30. Freshman Jenai King leads the team in assists averaging 6.99 per set and sophomore Desiree Walker is tops in blocks at 0.53 per set. Senior Marcella Chestnut and King anchor the defense averaging 2.53 and 2.21 digs per set, respectively.
PREVIOUSLY VS. THE BULLDOGS: Courteney Pitt had her fifth double-figure kill match (13) as the Aggies fired 42 kills and posted their third-highest hitting percentage (.284) of the season on Oct. 8 in a three-set sweep. Edie Brewer finished with a match-high 17 assists and Megan Wiggins tied a season-best with 15 assists. Pitt benefited the most from their play, finishing with 13 kills on 26 attempts and a .231 hitting percentage. Samara Brown added nine kills with a team-high seven digs and both Alyssa Pitt and Jasmine Lindor each recorded six kills apiece. Lindor was the Aggies best at the net with a .600 hitting percentage.
NEWS & NOTES
- Freshman Edie Brewer comes into this week’s play ranked 10th in the nation in triple doubles (1), 20th in service aces (37) and 21st in aces per set (0.46). In 13 matches, Brewer has recorded 20-plus assists and in five matches she has recorded double-figure digs.
- As a team, the Aggies are eighth in the nation in aces per set (1.76), 20th in team service aces (141) and 27th in opponent hitting percentage (.161).
- Senior Jasmine Lindor is sixth among MEAC players in blocks per set (0.90) while sophomore Camille Uadile is ranked eighth (0.80). Brewer is fifth in the conference in service aces per set (0.45) and 10th in assists per set (5.92). As a team, the Aggies rank second in four categories; blocks per set (1.97), opponent hitting percentage (.159), team service aces (145) and service aces per set (1.75). In addition, they are fifth in hitting percentage (.167).
- Freshman Courteney Pitt attempted 30 attacks her last time out versus N.C. Central matching the Aggies highest total attempts in three sets this season. She has seven double-figure kills and leads the Aggies in kills per set averaging 2.30.
- Senior Samara Brown had her seventh double-figure dig match garnering 11 in her last match. She leads the Aggies in total kills (186) and is second in digs per set (2.08). Brown has 748 career kills and needs three to move up to sixth place on the all-time list (Danesha Taylor, 750).
- Freshman Milanna Morgan eclipsed the 200 digs mark this season with 11 vs. NCCU. Morgan has 205 total digs averaging a team-high 2.73 per set.
- Senior Alyssa Pitt recorded a career-best .615 attack percentage versus NCCU on 9 of 13 attacks with one error. She has four matches this season with a .400 attack percentage or higher.
- N.C. A&T has never lost a match this season when posting a higher hitting percentage, more kills, assists, and digs than the opponent. The Aggies are 12-7 when finishing with more blocks and are 9-2 when winning the first set of a match this season.