Men's Tennis Sees Its Season Come To And End
Durham, N.C. (April 14, 2018) – The North Carolina A&T men’s tennis saw their season come to a close after a 5-2 loss to N.C. Central at the Dr. James W. Younge tennis courts.
Both teams entered the contest winless in conference play but the winner was going to receive one of the fourth and final Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament bid out of the five-team southern division. The Eagles swept doubles to earn the doubles point and won four singles matches to claim the tournament berth.
Freshman Jorge Goenaga was the first Aggie to grab a win for N.C. A&T at No. 3 singles. It was not an easy win over the Eagles Sebastian Bromley as he made Goenaga earn every point. The intense battle went in Goenaga after he won both sets 7-5. Goenaga ends the season as the team leader in wins with four. Hayden Faulkenbury also added a win during the match giving him two singles wins on the season.
Faulkenbury dueled it out against Maksym Konovalov at No. 5 singles as the two gave it
The most grueling matchup took place at the No. 6 singles position as Jordan Lawrence went toe-to-toe with Brooks Campbell. It was Campbell taking the first set 7-5 but Lawrence was not ready to give up even though the Eagles had already clinched the match. He forced the second set into a tie-breaker set in which he won 10-8 sending the match into a 10-point super tie-breaker set. Lawrence finally succumbed to Campbell 10-7.
NCAT vs N.C. Central
04/14/2018 at Durham, N.C.
N.C. Central 5, NCAT 2
- KONTOPOULOS,Theo (NCCUMT) def. BARTRA, Adair (NCATM) 6-4, 6-2
- CUCALON,Gabriel (NCCUMT) def. WILSON IV, John (NCATM) 6-1, 6-0
- GOENAGA, Jorge (NCATM) def. BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCUMT) 7-5, 7-5
- FAULKENBURY, Hayden (NCATM) def. KONOVALOV,Maksym (NCCUMT) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (8-6)
- JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCUMT) def. CABAN, Brett (NCATM) 6-2, 7-5
- CAMPBELL,Brooks (NCCUMT) def. LAWRENCE, Jordan (NCATM) 7-5, 6-7 (8-10), 10-7
- KONTOPOULOS,Theo/KONOVALOV,Maksym (NCCUMT) def. BARTRA, Adair/WILSON IV, John (NCATM) 6-2
- CUCALON,Gabriel/BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCUMT) def. JARMON, Dreshaun/GOENAGA, Jorge (NCATM) 6-2
- CAMPBELL,Brooks/JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCUMT) def. FAULKENBURY, Hayden/CABAN, Brett (NCATM) 6-3
NCAT 0-18, 0-4 MEAC
N.C. Central 3-13, 1-3 MEAC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,3,5,4,6)