Aggies Lose To Longwood, Nigatu To Be Honored
FARMVILLE, Va.-The North Carolina A&T women's tennis team has been using its non-conference schedule all season long to help prepare for their MEAC matches. The Aggies used their road match on Saturday against Longwood to prepare for Monday's conference match.
In their season finale on Monday, the Aggies will face N.C. Central for the first time in MEAC competition. On Saturday, the Lancers swept the Aggies 7-0. But taking on a tough Lancers team will help prepare the Aggies for taking on a tough NCCU team, senior team captain Azeib Nigatu said.
The Aggies (2-13, 1-4 MEAC) will take on the Eagles at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center at 3 p.m. Nigatu will be honored for Senior Day that afternoon. She has won 12 singles matches in her career, including seven during the 2010 season.
"I'm hoping it'll be a really good match. I'd like to go out with a bang in my last match of the season and my A&T career. I hope we get a win against our rivals," Nigatu said.
The Aggies hope to end the season on a high note, after losing their last seven matches against tough competition.
"It was good practice for our match on Monday," said Nigatu of Saturday's match at Longwood. She noted that the team will utilize the tools they have been developing all season in their match on Monday against N.C. Central.
"We'll bring the same attitude - working hard and running after every ball," she added.
Despite the loss on Saturday, Nigatu was proud of her team's performance against the 10-10 Lancers.
"Everybody's performance was pretty good. We went out and played our best against a pretty good team-got to give them credit," said Nigatu. "Everybody has been improving at each match up to the end of the season. Each match is better than before."
Tennis Match Results
North Carolina A&T vs Longwood
Apr 07, 2012 at Farmville, Va.
Longwood 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Marta Pinyol (LW-W) def. CROSS,Cayla (NCATW) 6-2, 6-1
2. Allison Shulman (LW-W) def. COLBERT,Kenya (NCATW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Malin Allgurin (LW-W) def. NIGATU,Azeib (NCATW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Sarah Moomau (LW-W) def. STALLING,Kimberly (NCATW) 6-1, 6-2
5. Nicole Parker (LW-W) def. AUSTIN,Victorea (NCATW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Bethany Law (LW-W) def. ESPARZA,Kendra (NCATW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Allison Shulman/Malin Allgurin (LW-W) def. CROSS,Cayla/NIGATU,Azeib (NCATW) 8-0
2. Marta Pinyol/Sarah Moomau (LW-W) def. STALLING,Kimberly/HENRY,Nianna (NCATW) 8-2
3. Hannah Hill/Nicole Parker (LW-W) def. COLBERT,Kenya/BURRAGE,April (NCATW) 8-1