DURHAM—Just as they have all season, junior Kimberly Stalling and freshman Jayla Scott turned in strong performances as the North Carolina A&T tennis season came to a close on Monday afternoon.
Scott and Stalling, who are first and second on the team in singles wins this season respectively, each had a pair of points in their singles matches against the N.C. Central Eagles. They fought hard in their matches, but their best efforts were not enough to overcome the Eagles, as N.C. Central swept the Aggies. In the regular season finale on Monday, Stalling and Scott each lost 6-2, 6-0. Junior Victorea Austin, freshman Unique Hawkins and senior April Burrage all fell in straight sets in their singles matches.
Stalling and Austin battled in the No. 1 doubles match against Ekaterina Nekrasova and Rebecca Wood, but lost 8-3. Burrage and Scott lost 8-0 to Olesya Palko and Aissa Muamba in the No. 2 doubles match.
The Aggies finish the season 2-13 overall with a 1-5 MEAC mark. It was a challenging season for the Aggies, who saw the number of available players decrease over the course of the spring due to injuries, including a season-ending injury to No. 1 singles player Kenya Colbert in the first match of the season.
Stalling, who stepped in to play No. 1, helped lead the team this season on and off the court. She finished the year with three singles wins, including two in the MEAC. Scott led the team with four singles wins, and posted a 3-3 mark in the MEAC this season. Both ladies helped the Aggies defeat Fayetteville State and Savannah State for the team’s two wins this spring.
With five outgoing seniors and four freshmen, the 2013 campaign was one of transition. The Aggie freshmen gained plenty of playing experience, and showed plenty of growth over the course of the season. Freshman Takeyrah Reid and Shaunasie Perkins also posted singles victories on the year.
Tennis Match Results
North Carolina A&T vs North Carolina Central
Apr 08, 2013 at Durham, N.C.
North Carolina Central 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. PALKO,Olesya (NCCUW) def. STALLING,Kimberly (NCAT) 6-2, 6-0
2. NEKRASOVA,Ekaterina (NCCUW) def. SCOTT,Jayla (NCAT) 6-2, 6-0
3. MUAMBA,Aissa (NCCUW) def. AUSTIN,Victorea (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
4. WOOD,Rebecca (NCCUW) def. HAWKINS,Unique (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
5. RAMIC,Mia (NCCUW) def. BURRAGE,April (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
6. GATSON,Brianna (NCCUW) def. No player (NCAT), by default
1. NEKRASOVA,Ekaterina/WOOD,Rebecca (NCCUW) def. STALLING,Kimberly/AUSTIN,Victorea (NCAT) 8-3
2. PALKO,Olesya/MUAMBA,Aissa (NCCUW) def. BURRAGE,April/SCOTT,Jayla (NCAT) 8-0
3. RAMIC,Mia/GATSON,Brianna (NCCUW) def. No player/No player (NCAT), by default
North Carolina A&T 2-13
North Carolina Central 11-7 (5-1)