Adair Bartra won at No. 2 doubles and No. 3 singles against Bethune-Cookman. Photo by Kevin L. Dorsey
Courtesy: NC A&T Sports Information
GREENSBORO (April 7, 2017) – The North Carolina A&T men’s tennis team secured their first win of the season Friday afternoon with a 4-3 victory over Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference foe, the Wildcats of Bethune-Cookman. The win is the Aggies first MEAC win since the program was reinstated in 2014 after the program was discontinued in 2006.
In doubles competition, the Aggies duo of Adair Bartra and John Wilson IV overpowered the Wildcats duo of Greg Almeida and Pablo Lopez with a 6-4 doubles win, but wins for B-CU in the No. 1 and No. 3 matches earned them the overall doubles point. Nicolas Arduh and Nikko Barr came up short 6-4 at No. 1, while Brett Caban and Jordan Lawrence also fell short 6-3 in the No. 3 doubles spot.
Arduh clinched the first Aggies point of the match with a 6-1, 7-6 win over David Ocampo in the No. 1 singles spot. Following with the Aggies second point at No. 3 singles was Bartra with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 victory over Greg Almeida. At No. 4 singles, Wilson defeated Pablo Lopez 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. Rounding out the singles play with the Aggies final point of the day was Brett Caban at No. 6 singles as he defeated Juan Diego Ruiz 6-0, 6-1.
The Aggies will play in the MEAC tournament for the first time since the 2006 season. There will be two N.C. A&T tennis teams there for the first in 11 years as well.
Tennis Match Results
Bethune-Cookman vs North Carolina A&T
Apr 07, 2017 at Greensboro, NC
North Carolina A&T 4, Bethune-Cookman 3
1. ARDUH,Nicolas (NCATM) def. OCAMPA,David (BCUM) 6-1, 7-6
2. PLAZAS,Jose (BCUM) def. JARMON,Dreshaun (NCATM) 6-3, 6-0
3. BARTRA,Adair (NCATM) def. ALMEIDA,Greg (BCUM) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. WILSON,John IV (NCATM) def. LOPEZ,Pablo (BCUM) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
5. BARRERA,Alvaro (BCUM) def. BARR,Niko (NCATM) 6-2, 6-1
6. CABAN,Brett (NCATM) def. RUIZ,Juan (BCUM) 6-0, 6-1
1. PLAZAS,Jose/RUIZ,Juan (BCUM) def. ARDUH,Nicolas/BARR,Niko (NCATM) 6-4
2. BARTRA,Adair/WILSON,John IV (NCATM) def. ALMEIDA,Greg/LOPEZ,Pablo (BCUM) 6-4
3. BARRERA,Alvaro/OCAMPA,David (BCUM) def. LAWRENCE,Jordan/CABAN,Brett (NCATM) 6-3