Elon (January 13, 2018) – Coming off their best season ever with seven wins, the North Carolina A&T women’s team lost a 7-0 decision in their 2018 season opener to Elon at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center Saturday morning. The good news is N.C. A&T coach William Crutchfield believes the ladies are ahead of the pace they set last season when they went 3-2 in the Mid-Eastern Atheltic Conference and advanced to the MEAC tournament.
“I am definitely satisfied with where we are, especially compared to last year,” said Crutchfield. “We are way ahead of where we were last year at this point.”
The Aggies returning leader in wins, sophomore Kaishka Chawla started the day off at No. 6 singles with a loss to Mia Wallace in straight sets 6-0, 6-1. Senior leader Khalia who finished above .500 (7-6) as a sophomore and added five wins to her career totals last season lost at No. 2 singles 6-0, 6-2 to Erica Braschi.
Junior Angelica Martinez lost at No. 3 singles before senior Nada Hilton-Adams was defeated 6-1, 6-1 at No. 5 singles. Junior Sheyla (Fabiana) Ramirez started the season in the No. 1 singles spot for the Aggies and for good reason. Ramirez played the best match for the Aggies even though the Phoenix had already clinched the win. She was still able to take Olivia Lucas to the limit before losing 6-2, 3-6 and 10-4 in the tiebreaker.
Elon won swept the doubles matches to earn the doubles point. The Aggies face College Charleston 10 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 20 at College of Charleston.
Aggies vs Elon Jan 13, 2018 at ELON, N.C.
Elon 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Olivia Lucas (ELON) def. RAMERIZ, Fabinana (NCATW) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. Erica Braschi (ELON) def. POWELL, Khalia (NCATW) 6-0, 6-2
3. Maria Paraja (ELON) def. MARTINEZ, Angelica (NCATW) 6-2, 6-3
4. Alex Koniaev (ELON) def. RUIZ-RABADAN, Renata (NCATW) 6-2, 6-2
5. Sofia Edo (ELON) def. HILTON-ADAMS, Nadia (NCATW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mia Wallace (ELON) def. CHAWLA, Kanishka (NCATW) 6-0, 6-1
1. Olivia Lucas/Alex Koniaev (ELON) def. RAMERIZ, Fabinana/RUIZ, Rieate (NCATW) 6-2
2. Erica Braschi/Montana Moore (ELON) def. MARTINEZ, Angelica/POWELL, Khalia (NCATW) 6-0
3. Maria Paraja/Sofia Edo (ELON) def. RUIZ-RABADAN, Renata/HILTON-ADAMS, Nadia (NCATW)