CONWAY, S.C.- The North Carolina A&T women's tennis team faced a tough Coastal Carolina team on Sunday afternoon, and were swept by the Chanticleers. The courts were covered in ice on Sunday morning due to the precipitation from Saturday, but the teams were able to get the match in at the Billy Nichols Tennis Center.
Freshman Shaunasie Perkins made her debut pairing with junior Victorea Austin in the No. 2 doubles match in the 8-2 loss. Junior Kendra Esparza-Harris made her season debut by teaming with junior Kimberly Stalling in the No. 3 doubles match.
The Aggies also saw some gritty performances from the top half of their singles lineup. A&T No. 1 Kimberly Stalling lost 6-2, 6-0 to Libby Scott. Freshman Jayla Scott recorded the most points on the day for the Aggies, losing 6-2, 6-3 to Shelby Bates in the second singles match. Austin fell to Alicia Robinson 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 3 singles spot. Freshmen Takeyrah Reid and Unique Hawkins lost in the No. 4 and No. 5 singles matches, and Esparza-Harris went down in straight sets in her first singles match of the season in the No. 6 spot.
The Aggies will next compete at Presbyterian on Saturday, Feb. 23 at 2 p.m.
North Carolina A&T vs Coastal Carolina
Coastal Carolina 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Scott (CCU) def. Stalling (NCAT) 6-2, 6-0
2. Bates (CCU) def. Scott (NCAT) 6-2, 6-3
3. Robinson (CCU) def. Austin (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kowal (CCU) def. Reid (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
5. Davies (CCU) def. Hawkins (NCAT) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ortiz (CCU) def. Harris (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kowal/Davies (CCU) def. Scott/Burrage (NCAT) 8-2
2. Bates/Robinson (CCU) def. Perkins/Austin (NCAT) 8-2
3. Scott/De Wit (CCU) def. Stalling/Harris (NCAT) 8-0