DAVIDSON - The North Carolina A&T women's tennis team dropped a tough match at the Knobloch Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon, losing 6-1 to the Davidson Wildcats. Sophomore Victorea Austin picked up the lone win for the Aggies, winning her singles match, 1-6, 6-1, 10-8 against Blake Nickles.
The Aggies (1-4, 1-0 MEAC) fought long and hard against a tough Wildcats (2-3) team.
In singles, the Aggies battled in close matches with their opponents. Junior Cayla Cross lost, 0-6, 1-6, against Brites Moniz-Soares in the No. 1 match. Azeib Nigatu fell, 3-6, 3-6, to Nisha Crouser. Freshman Kenya Colbert lost, 1-6, 1-6 to Katharine Dicconson. In the No. 4 pairing, sophomore Kimberly Stalling lost, 4-6, 3-6 to Elise Held. Junior April Burrage, who is in her first season with the Aggies, was defeated, 1-6,1-6 to Frizze Bschorer. Austin, who is starting in singles play in place of the injured Nianna Henry, got her second singles win of the season at No. 6.
In doubles competition, Stalling and Henry and Colbert and Burrage both fell 4-8 to their opponents. Nigatu and Cross in the first doubles match lost 0-8.
The Aggies return from the road and will play their next few matches at home. The Aggies will be back in action on Friday, Feb. 10 at 2 p.m., at the Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center to take on Shaw University. They will also play East Carolina at 3 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 11 at Piedmont Indoor Tennis Center.
Head coach James Dunwoody has repeatedly stressed that A&T's non-conference is designed to prepare them for the conference schedule. The Aggies need just one more conference win to qualify for the MEAC Tournament in April, and they look to claim that second win on Feb. 17 against Norfolk State at 6 p.m. The Aggies will use their next two matches to help prepare for that matchup against the Spartans.
Tennis Match Results
Davidson 6, North Carolina A&T 1
1. Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) def. CROSS,Cayla (NCATW) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nisha Crouser (DAV) def. NIGATU,Azeib (NCATW) 6-3, 6-3
3. Katharine Dicconson (DAV) def. COLBERT,Kenya (NCATW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Elise Held (DAV) def. STALLING,Kimberly (NCATW) 6-4, 6-3
5. Frizzi Bschorer (DAV) def. BURRAGE,April (NCATW) 6-1, 6-1
6. AUSTIN,Victorea (NCATW) def. Blake Nickles (DAV) 1-6, 6-1, 10-8
1. Katharine Dicconson/Brites Moniz-Soares (DAV) def. NIGATU,Azeib/CROSS,Cayla (NCATW) 8-0
2. Catherine Wood/Elise Held (DAV) def. STALLING,Kimberly/HENRY,Nianna (NCATW) 8-4
3. Frizzi Bschorer/Blake Nickles (DAV) def. BURRAGE,April/COLBERT,Kenya (NCATW) 8-4