Elon Visits War Memorial For Mid-Week Tilt
Elon (6-1) at North Carolina A&T (3-2)
Date: February 26, 2014
Time: 3 p.m.
Facility: War Memorial Stadium
AGGIES RETURN TO ACTION AFTER SUCCESSFUL WEEKEND
- North Carolina A&T welcomes in Elon before a big three-game series against conference rival N.C. Central over the weekend.
- The Aggies haven’t been great at the plate this season, but they have come through with timely hitting. Therefore, they were able to win two 1-run games over the weekend.
- Cameron Jergens gave the Aggies what they needed on Sunday against with a game-winning solo home run in the fourth inning. On Saturday, the Aggies got a walk-off single from Lester Salcedo to beat Marshall 8-7 in 12 innings.
- Brandon Wilkerson has reached base in all four games he has played in. His only game where he didn’t have a hit was against Radford but he did walk once.
- In an illustration of how teams plan to pitch Luke Tendler this season, the All-American has walked six times over the Aggies first five games. He still leads the team with seven RBI.
HOW TO CATCH THE GAME
- You can follow live stats at ncataggies.com. The live stats link is in the upper right-hand corner of ncataggies.com.
- You can also follow the Aggies on Twitter @ncataggies or Facebook at Facebook.com/ncathletics.
LAST TIME OUT
- Mitchell McQueen delivered an outstanding pitching performance on Sunday by pitching a complete-game, four-hitter in a 2-1 win. McQueen threw only 101 pitches and struck out five in earning his fist win as an Aggie.
- Marshall hitters leading off the inning against McQueen on Sunday were 0-for-9.
- At one point in the game, McQueen retired seven straight batters. He faced 31 batters and earned 13 fly ball outs and seven groundouts. He walked only two batters after walking four at N.C. State in his last outing.
- A&T’s win over Marshall on Sunday took only one hour, 59 minutes.
- A&T had committed 10 errors over its first four games, but did not commit an error on Sunday.
LHP Tyler Manez (So., 0-1, 36.00 ERA) vs. LHP DarAmani Swift (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
ABOUT THE STARTERS
- Manez has had one previous start this season where he gave up four earned runs over one inning pitched at N.C. State. He made 16 appearances with three starts. In those appearances, he pitched 30.1 innings and struck out 27.
- Swift is the only left-hander on the Aggies roster. He will be making first start of 2014 on Wednesday. He made six appearances in 2013 where he posted an 8.10 ERA over 6.2 innings pitched.
- The Elon Phoenix has been a highly-successful program as of late. The Phoenix is coming off of its second SoCon tournament championship in six years. The Phoenix has also played in an NCAA regional six times in 12 seasons, including last season. Elon also owns four regular-season titles since 2006.
- The Phoenix has hit the ball well this season. As a team, Elon is hitting .302 and have a slugging percentage of .433. Quinn Bower leads the way by hitting .407 with seven runs scored and .519 slugging percentage.
- The Phoenix is coming off a 3-2 win over UNC Wilmington at home on Tuesday as Will Leathers hit a pinch-hit, game-winning single to left field in the eighth inning to score Sebastian Gomez.
- Elon owns a 26-2-1 lead in the all-time series against the Aggies. A&T’s last win over Elon was a 14-9 victory at Elon on March 11, 2007.
- Elon won two close meetings last season, a 7-5 win at War Memorial Stadium on Feb. 20 and an 8-7 win at Elon in 10 innings on May 7.
- The Aggies will begin conference play as they host N.C. Central at War Memorial Stadium in a three-game series.
- The two rivals will play twice on Saturday starting at 1 p.m., and they will play the series finale Sunday at 1 p.m.
- The Aggies are expected to throw right-hander Tyler Boone, RHP Charles Cantrell and RHP Mitchell McQueen.