Wofford Defeats A&T Tennis
SPARTANBURG, S.C. - The lineup for the North Carolina A&T women's tennis team had a different look on Saturday afternoon at Wofford, as the Aggies had to deal with injuries to a pair of key players and also give some of the newest members of the team some needed playing experience.
With sophomore Kenya Colbert unavailable due to a knee injury and senior April Burrage ill with a stomach bug, freshmen Unique Hawkins and Takeyrah Reid made their collegiate debuts on the court as A&T was swept 7-0 by Wofford.
A&T head coach James Dunwoody said the team struggled to get to a strong start in the match against the Terriers, and thought the absence of Colbert contributed to that. Colbert, who went down with a knee injury in her singles match in the season opener against Appalachian State on Jan. 18, did not make the trip.
"I'm not real happy with the way they played today. They played very sluggish," said Dunwoody. "I noticed that they were all a little down because Kenya was not there with them. She has a lot more clout on the team than I thought. She's a silent leader. She doesn't say much, she just goes to work."
While it became a necessity to play Hawkins and Reid with the loss of Colbert and Burrage, Dunwoody planned to start the pair at Wofford anyway to give them some experience. The trio of newcomers got to start both in singles and doubles at the John E. Reeves Tennis Center on Saturday.
Dunwoody said that he had hoped for a little more from his freshmen. "I was a tad bit disappointed. I thought they would have shown more progress," he said.
He was pleased with the performance of junior Kimberly Stalling, who took over the No. 1 singles spot in place of Colbert.
"The most competitive was Kimberly. She competed with desire and the right attitude. She had the socks beat off her, but she had the longest match," he said.
The Aggies will next play on Feb. 2 at Norfolk State at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Wofford Women 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Sarah Evans (WOFW) def. STALLING,Kimberly (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
2. Audrey Coventry (WOFW) def. HAWKINS,Unique (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
3. Julia Paulson (WOFW) def. AUSTIN,Victorea (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
4. Guinn Garcia (WOFW) def. CROSS,Cayla (NCAT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mareli Sanchez (WOFW) def. SCOTT,Jayla (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lucy Schermerhorn (WOFW) def. REID,Takeyrah (NCAT) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sarah Evans/Guinn Garcia (WOFW) def. STALLING,Kimberly/AUSTIN,Victorea (NCAT) 8-0
2. Othilia Lindqvist/Mareli Sanchez (WOFW) vs. SCOTT,Jayla/CROSS,Cayla (NCAT) 7-1, unfinished
3. Julia Paulson/Lucy Schermerhorn (WOFW) def. REID,Takeyrah/HAWKINS,Unique (NCAT) 8-0