No. 11 North Carolina A&T (4-1, 1-0 MEAC) vs. Delaware State (0-4, 0-1 MEAC)
Date: October 6, 2018
Time: 7 p.m. EST
City/Venue: Greensboro, N.C./Alumni Stadium (7,900)
Series: A&T leads, 24-22-1
TV: ESPN 3
ESPN Triad Radio: Donal Ware (play-by-play); Al Swann (analysts)
600 AM/101.5 FM Winston-Salem
1320 AM/93.7 FM Greensboro
1230 AM/104.9 FM High Point
920 AM/104.5 FM Burlington
1200 AM/95.1 FM Burlington
AGGIES OFFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
|Position||First Team||Second Team|
|WR||13 Elijah Bell (Leads the team with 18 receptions.)||86 Jordan McDaniel|
|LT||73 Marcus Pettiford (As he gets healthier, the offensive line continues to improve.)||75 Bilal Ali|
|LG||68 Macquel Hardy (He is another lineman who continues to get healthier.)||74 Sylvester Smith|
|C||62 Malik Johnson (The reigning offensive lineman of the week.)||55 Dacquari Wilson|
|RG||78 Micah Shaw (Shaw graded out the second-highest during the SCSU game.)||69 Deven Milton|
|RT||79 Dontae Keys (The right side of the line is becoming strong in the run game.)||77 Breontae Matthews|
|QB||7 Lamar Raynard (He was 19-for-27 against SCSU.)||10 Kylil Carter|
|RB||22 Marquell Cartwright (He ran for a season-high 157 yards vs. SCSU.)||30 Jah-Maine Martin|
|WR||19 Zachary Leslie (Had his first career 100-yard receiving game last week.)||4 Isaiah Hicklin|
|WR||88 Malik Wilson (He is averaging 11.2 yards per reception.)||23 Amos Williams|
|WR||81 Ron Hunt (Hunt caught his second TD pass of the season vs. SCSU last week.)||15 Ahmed Bah|
AGGIES DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
|Position||First Team||Second Team|
|DE||40 Darryl Johnson, Jr. (He leads the team with 7.5 tackles for loss.)||41 Tre Smalls|
|NG||95 Julian McKnight (McKnight is second on the team with 6.0 TFL's.)||52 Michael Branch|
|DT||94 Justin Cates (The Aggies front four is a force.)||92 Jermaine Williams|
|DE||96 Sam Blue (Blue and Johnson are good at getting after the quarterback.)||99 Artavious Richardson|
|LB||34 Deion Jones (Johnson is a tackling machine.)||44 Julius Reynolds|
|LB||5 Kiaundric Richardson (He anchors the Aggies defense.)||54 Kyin Howard|
|LB||9 Antoine Wilder (He is second on the team with 29 tackles.)||27 Justin Philip|
|FS||33 Jalon Bethea (He has 17 tackles on the season.)||20 Najee Reams|
|CB||29 Mac McCain III (He did a great job in coverage last week vs. SCSU.)||21 Derrek Williams|
|ROV||2 Jamaal Darden (Darden leads the team in tackles with 32.)||18 Richie Kittles|
|CB||14 Timadre Abram (Abram has broken up four passes this season.)||24 Amir McNeil|
The Matchup: N.C. A&T goes into Dover, Del., a heavy favorite over the Delaware State Hornets. But the Aggies are playing their third straight winless team and they are 1-1 in those games with a loss to Morgan State, another team they were expected to defeat. The Aggies have won four straight games over the Hornets with the average margin of victory being 26.5 points. The last time the Aggies lost at Alumni Stadium was 24-0 loss in 2012.
The Aggies recovered from their surprising loss to Morgan State by putting together a dominating and impressive second half against S.C. State on Thursday. The Aggies scored 28 unanswered points to win 31-16 over the Bulldogs. They ran up 311 yards rushing and 564 yards of total offense. The Aggies posted 500 yards of offense for the first time since collecting 514 yards at Morgan State on Sept. 23, 2017. The 311 rushing yards marked the eighth time since 2013 the Aggies have run for more than 300 yards. It was the most rushing yards for the Aggies since they ran for 366 against Alcorn State in the 2015 Celebration Bowl.
Delaware State is a program that has struggled over the past few seasons. The Hornets are just 3-17 in their last 20 conference games. They have not had a winning season since 2012. The Hornets are coming off a 54-28 loss to Norfolk State. They are surrendering 53.8 points per game with the fewest points they have allowed is 45 points at St. Francis.
News and Notes:
- The High Point Andrews High School duo of quarterback Lamar Raynard and running back Marquell Cartwright reached more milestones last Thursday. Raynard had his 10thcareer game where he had three touchdown passes or more. Meanwhile, Cartwright had his seventh career 100-yard game. Raynard needs five more touchdown passes to break the school record.
- N.C. A&T’s defense is still among the nation’s best. The Aggies rank 14thin total defense, 10thin scoring defense and fifth in rushing defense.
- N.C. A&T picked up their third weekly honor from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference this season when center Malik Johnson was named offensive lineman of the week. Johnson had an overall grade of 85 percent with four knockdown blocks. He had a 100 percent grade on pass protection and he led the way on Jah-Maine Martin’s 40-yard touchdown run against SCSU.
- Their other two weekly honors were Kashon Baker (special teams player of the week, Sept. 10) and Mac McCain III (defensive player of the week, Sept. 3).
- Wide receiver Elijah Bell has caught at least one pass in all 29 games he has played for N.C. A&T. He has 10 games where he has had five catches or more.
Opposing Point of View
“A&T is the No. 1 team in black college football, so it is going to be a tough task. I know they travel with a crowd. I know our fans will show up, so I think it’s going to be a sellout. Our fans want to see the 2018 Delaware State team play at home and we want to put on a good show. We’re going to keep practicing as hard as we can and do all we can to get into that win column. A&T is a well-coached, well put together football team. That’s been evident throughout the past few years. They’ve always had a say in who is going to win the MEAC title.”
Delaware State head coach Rod Milstead