NCCU Gets Past N.C. A&T In Men's Tennis
Aggies Lose at Home to N.C. Central
GREENSBORO (March 28, 2017) –The North Carolina A&T dropped a competitive Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference men’s tennis match Tuesday afternoon to North Carolina Central, 5-2 at Barber Park. The Aggies dropped to 0-12 overall and 0-3 in the MEAC.
N.C. A&T secured points at the No. 4 and No. 5 singles spots but was unable to come away with the overall win.
In doubles competition, the Aggies duo of Nicolas Arduh and Niko Barr overpowered the Eagles duo of Gabriel Cucalon and Maksym Konovalov in the No. 1 position 6-3, but wins for NCCU in the final two doubles matches earned them the overall doubles point. Jorge Bartra and John Wilson IV came up short 6-0 at No. 2 and Brett Caban and Jordan Lawrence also fell short 6-4 in the No. 3 spot.
Barr clinched the first Aggies point of the match with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Konovalov in the No. 4 singles spot. Following with the Aggies second point was Caban with a 6-4, 7-6, (7-2) victory over Sebastian Bromley. The Eagles put away the other singles points, however, as Arduh came up short at No. 1 (6-0, 6-0) and Bartra fell in three (4-6, 6-3, 10-8) at the No. 2 singles spot. Wilson IV was defeated at No. 3 (6-4, 6-4) and Lawrence lost at No. 6 (6-2, 6-2).
The Aggie men’s tennis team will resume play against Wake Forest on Sunday, April 2, in Winston-Salem. The Aggies will continue Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference competition on Friday, April 7, as they take on Bethune-Cookman at N.C. A&T’s Aggie Tennis Complex.
Tennis Match Results
N.C. Central vs North Carolina A&T
Mar 28, 2017 at Greensboro, N.C.
N.C. Central 5, North Carolina A&T 2
1. CUCALON,Gabriel (NCCU) def. ARDUH,Nicolas (NCATM) 6-0, 6-0
2. KONTOPOULOS,Theo (NCCU) def. BARTRA,Adair (NCATM) 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
3. CALLEGARI,Davide (NCCU) def. WILSON,John IV (NCATM) 6-4, 6-4
4. BARR,Niko (NCATM) def. KONOVALOV,Maksym (NCCU) 6-3, 6-2
5. CABAN,Brett (NCATM) def. BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
6. JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCU) def. LAWRENCE,Jordan (NCATM) 6-2, 6-2
1. ARDUH,Nicolas/BARR,Niko (NCATM) def. CUCALON,Gabriel/KONOVALOV,Maksym (NCCU) 6-3
2. CALLEGARI,Davide/KONTOPOULOS,Theo (NCCU) def. BARTRA,Adair/WILSON,John IV (NCATM) 6-0
3. BROMLEY,Sebastian/CAMPBELL,Brooks (NCCU) def. CABAN,Brett/LAWRENCE,Jordan (NCATM) 6-4