ELON (January 13, 2018) – The North Carolina A&T men’s tennis team may have fallen to Elon 7-0 Saturday morning at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center in the 2018 season opener. But don’t measure the Aggies by the wins and losses yet. It is all about the program making progress, and the men certainly did that on Saturday. They put up a lot of resistance and had chances to win a few sets.
“I am definitely satisfied with where we are, especially compared to last year,” said N.C. A&T coach William Crutchfield. “We played a very good team today, but we played all the way through like we intended.”
Sophomore Adair (Jorge) Bartra was just one of the Aggies that challenged the Phoenix as he came up short in the No. 1 singles spot to Salvador Mijares 7-5, 6-0. At No. 2 singles was junior Nicolas Arduh who was defeated by Camilo Ponce 6-1, 6-4. Redshirt sophomore Hayden Faulkenbury playing at the No. 3 position fell to Neal Port 6-1, 6-1 while senior John Wilson IV took on Jacob Bicknell at No.4 and came up short 6-1, 6-0.
The longest match was a contest between Aggie freshman Jorge Goenaga who took on Louis Rico. Despite Elon already clinching the win by the time Goenaga stepped on the court, he gave a tremendous effort before succumbing to Rico 7-6 (8-6), 6-3. Another great match was senior Dreshaun Jarmon against Taylor Foote in the No. 6 spot. It was third matchup of the day as Jarmon dropped a 6-3, 6-4 decision.
The Phoenix swept the doubles point despite great competitions at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The Aggies will travel to Chapel Hill on Thursday, Jan. 18 to take on the Tar Heels at 2:30 p.m.
Elon 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Adair Bartra (NCAT) 7-5, 6-0
2. Camilo Ponce (ELON) def. Nicholas Ardur (NCAT) 6-1, 6-4
3. Neal Port (ELON) def. Hayden Faulkenbury (NCAT) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) def. John Wilson IV (NCAT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Louis Rico (ELON) def. Jorge Goenaga (NCAT) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
6. Taylor Foote (ELON) def. Dreshaun Jarmon (NCAT) 6-3, 6-4
1. Felipe Sarrasague/Salvador Mijares (ELON) def. Hayden Faulkenbury/Nicholas Ardur (NCAT) 6-4
2. Taylor Foote/Kyle Frankel (ELON) def. Adair Bartra/Jorge Goenaga (NCAT) 6-4
3. Felipe Osses-Konig/Neal Port (ELON) def. John Wilson IV/Dreshaun Jarmon (NCAT) 6-0