CHARLESTON (February 18, 2018) – The North Carolina A&T men’s tennis were swept 7-0 by a tough College of Charleston team. The Aggies did have three matches that went into third sets showing the Aggies resiliency.
Out of the three three-set matches, two of them also endured an additional tiebreaker match in the second sets. In No. 2 singles, it was Jorge Goenaga winning his tiebreaker match 10-7 to give him the second set 7-6 after coming up short 6-4 in the first. Goenaga gave it his all battling it out against Ryan Khan in the third set before being defeated 12-10.
Another intense match was in No. 4 as Hayden Faulkenbury went back-and-forth with Alec Angradi. Faulkenbury dropped the first set 6-2 before taking the second set 7-6 after winning the tiebreaker set 10-5. He then went on to lose the third in a 7-5 thriller in which the two players battled it out over a lengthy set.
In the No. 6 singles spot, it was Jordan Lawrence going into a third set against Youssef Dabbabi. Lawrence got off to a slow start with a 6-1 loss before turning up his intensity level and taking the second set 7-5. He was eventually defeated by a 6-3 loss in the third set.
The Aggies were swept in doubles play to give the Cougars the doubles point.
N.C. A&T vs College of Charleston
Feb 18, 2018 at Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Col. of Charleston 7, N.C. A&T 0
- Benedikt Henning (COFC) def. ARDUH, Nicolas (NCATM) 6-3, 6-0
- Ryan Khan (COFC) def. BARTRA, Adair (NCATM) 4-6, 7-6 (9-7), 12-10
- Ksawery Pociej (COFC) def. GOENAGA, Jorge (NCATM) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
- Alec Angradi (COFC) def. FAULKENBURY, Hayden (NCATM) 6-2, 6-7 (5-7), 7-5
- Easton Thomas (COFC) def. CABAN, Brett (NCATM) 6-3, 6-4
- Youssef Dabbabi (COFC) def. LAWRENCE, Jordan (NCATM) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
- Alec Angradi/Youssef Dabbabi (COFC) def. BARTRA, Adair/ARDUH, Nicolas (NCATM) 6-3
- Benedikt Henning/Easton Thomas (COFC) def. GOENAGA, Jorge/CABAN, Brett (NCATM) 6-2
- Ksawery Pociej/F. Ramirez Lascurian (COFC) def. LAWRENCE, Jordan/FAULKENBURY, Hayden (NCATM) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,1,3,6,4,2)