Rock Hill, S.C. (February 24, 2018) – Redshirt Sophomore Hayden Faulkenbury earned his first win as a North Carolina A&T men’s tennis player in a 6-1 loss to Winthrop at the Rock Hill Tennis Center.
At No. 4 singles, where Faulkenbury has played all his matches this season, went three sets to get the win. It was the second straight match Faulkenbury has been three sets after going three sets with College of Charleston’s Alec Angradi six days ago. In the match with Angradi, Faulkenbury lost the first set. This time he took the advantage early as he took down Leandros Pappayiannas 6-3 in the first before losing the second set 6-3. Faulkenbury
Another Aggies newcomer, freshman Jorge Goenaga, also played in his second straight three-set match. Against College of Charleston’s Ksawery Pociej went three sets on Feb. 18. On Saturday, lost an intense first set 7-5 before claiming the second 6-2. Gabriel Diaz was finally able to put away Goenaga 10-5. Goenaga was playing at No. 3 singles for just the third time this season.
In the No. 1 spot, Nicolas Arduh fell to Diego Quiroz 6-2, 6-1. It was Adair Jorge Bartra playing in the No. 2 position that came up short 6-2, 6-3 against Connor Williamson.
The Aggies were swept in doubles giving the Eagles the doubles point. N.C. A&T dropped to 0-8 on the season while Winthrop is 1-4.
North Carolina A&T vs Winthrop
Winthrop 6, North Carolina A&T 1
- Diego Quiroz (WINTHROP) def. ARDUH,Nicolas (NCATM) 6-2, 6-1
2. Connor Williamson (WINTHROP) def. BARTRA,Adair (NCATM) 6-2, 6-3
3. Gabriel Diaz (WINTHROP) def. GOENAGA,Jorge (NCATM) 5-7, 6-2, 10-5
4. Tremayne Mitchell (WINTHROP) def. CABAN,Brett (NCATM) 6-1, 6-0
,Hayden(NCATM) def. Leandros Pappayianni (WINTHROP) 6-3, 3-6, 10-5
6. Joshua Ryan (WINTHROP) def. LAWRENCE,Jordan (NCATM) 6-1, 6-1
- Diego Quiroz/Connor Williamson (WINTHROP) def. ARDUH,Nicolas/BARTRA,Adair (NCATM) 6-0
2. Aditya Gokhale/Tremayne Mitchell (WINTHROP) def. CABAN,Brett/GOENAGA,Jorge (NCATM) 6-2
3. Gabriel Diaz/Joshua Ryan (WINTHROP) def. WILSON
,JohnIV/LAWRENCE ,Jordan(NCATM) 6-3