CHAPEL HILL (February 27, 2018) – The North Carolina A&T men’s tennis team dropped a match to nationally-ranked North Carolina on Tuesday. The No. 6 Tar Heels defeated the Aggies 7-0 at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. N.C. A&T coach William Crutchfield mixed things up in positions and sophomore Adair Bartra responded well, taking his match to five sets.
Bartra stepped up to play in the No. 1 singles position for the second time this season. He took on Tar Heels’ Benjamin Sigouin and the two battled it out over three intense sets. Bartra jumped out to an early lead taking the first set 7-6 after winning the tiebreaker 10-3. Sigouin edged out Bartra to take the second set 7-6 in another fierce battle winning that tiebreaker set 10-6. Bartra finally
Senior John Wilson IV played in the No. 2 singles spot for the first time since his freshman year. He fell 6-2, 6-1 to Simon Soendergaard. In No. 3 singles it was Jorge Goenaga who put up some resistance against Mac Kiger before being defeated 6-2, 6-2.
The Aggies were swept in doubles giving the Tar Heels the doubles point.
North Carolina A&T vs University of North Carolina
#6 University of North Carolina 7, North Carolina A&T 0
- Benjamin Sigouin (UNCM) def. BARTRA,Adair (NCATM) 6-7 (3-10), 7-6 (10-6), 10-6
- Simon Soendergaard (UNCM) def. WILSON,John IV (NCATM) 6-2, 6-1
- Mac Kiger (UNCM) def. GOENAGA,Jorge (NCATM) 6-2, 6-2
- Josh Peck (UNCM) def. CABAN,Brett (NCATM) 6-1, 6-1
- Blaine Boyden (UNCM) def. FAULKENBURY,Hayden (NCATM) 6-1, 6-0
- Kavir Kumar (UNCM) def. LAWRENCE,Jordan (NCATM) 6-2, 6-1
- William Blumberg/Robert Kelly (
UNCM) def. BARTRA,Adair/WILSON,John IV (NCATM) 6-0
- Mac Kiger/Simon Soendergaard (UNCM) def. CABAN,Brett/GOENAGA,Jorge (NCATM) 6-0
- Blaine Boyden/Benjamin Sigouin (UNCM) def. LAWRENCE
,Jordan/FAULKENBURY ,Hayden(NCATM) 6-0
North Carolina A&T 0-9
University of North Carolina 9-3; National ranking #6
Order of finish: Doubles: (1,3,2) Singles: (5,4,2,6,3,1)