FARMVILLE, Va (March 17, 2018) – Senior Dreshaun Jarmon stayed at No. 1 singles after debuting there on Thursday and freshman Jorge Goenaga moved to No. 2 singles after teaming with Jarmon on Thursday to get a doubles win, but it was not enough as the Longwood Lancers defeated the North Carolina A&T men’s tennis team, 7-0 at the Longwood Tennis Center.
N.C. A&T has put different players at No. 1 trying to compensate for the loss of No. 1 singles player Nicolas Arduh. Jarmon was placed there on Thursday and Saturday but came up short both times. On Saturday, he was defeated by Amadeo Blasco 6-1, 6-2.
Goenaga played at No. 2 singles, fought through several long points with Valentin Popescu before Popescu put him away in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. Goenaga and Jarmon had a nice win at No. 2 doubles on Thursday against the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference perennial power S.C. State.
On Saturday, Jarmon teamed with senior John Wilson IV and lost at No. 1 doubles, 6-0. Goenaga partnered with redshirt sophomore Hayden Faulkenbury and lost at No. 2 doubles to Daniel Hernandez and Julian Farthing, 6-4.
The Lancers (7-6) took the doubles point by winning all three doubles matches. They also won the remaining singles matches in straight sets over the Aggies (0-14).
The Aggies next match will be at home against Morgan State on Thursday, March 22 starting at 10 a.m. It will be Senior Day for Brett Caban, Jarmon and Wilson.
N.C. A&T vs Longwood
Longwood 7, N.C. A&T 0
- BLASCO, Amadeo (LWUM) def. JARMON,
Dreshaun(NCATM) 6-1, 6-2
- POPESCU, Valentin (LWUM) def. GOENAGA, Jorge (NCATM) 6-4, 6-4
Raisei(LWUM) def. WILSON, John IV (NCATM) 6-1, 6-3
- FARTHING, Julian (LWUM) def. CABAN, Brett (NCATM) 6-1, 6-2
- GODOY, Jorge (LWUM) def. FAULKENBURY, Hayden (NCATM) 6-1, 6-3
- HERNANDEZ, Daniel (LWUM) def. LAWRENCE, Jordan (NCATM) 6-3, 6-1
- BLASCO, Amadeo/SAKAI,
Raisei(LWUM) def. JARMON, Dreshaun/WILSON, John IV (NCATM) 6-0
- HERNANDEZ, Daniel/FARTHING, Julian (LWUM) def. GOENAGA, Jorge/FAULKENBURY, Hayden (NCATM) 6-4
- GODOY, Jorge/POPESCU, Valentin (LWUM) def. CABAN, Brett/LAWRENCE, Jordan (NCATM) 6-3