Aggies Lose to Queens In Season Finale
CHARLOTTE (April 12, 2007) – North Carolina A&T women’s tennis finished one of their best regular seasons in recent history with a 7-0 loss to Queens University of Charlotte. N.C. A&T completes the regular season 6-13 overall and 3-2 in the MEAC.
Queens improved to 11-3 on the season. N.C. A&T’s Sheyla Ramirez dropped the No. 1 singles match in straight sets to Carlotta Nassi 6-1, 7-5. Ramirez finishes her regular season with two wins both at the No. 1 singles slot. Junior Khalia Powell had a setback at No. 2 singles with a 6-1, 6-1 loss to Marta Gonzalez as Powell followed up her seven-win season in 2016 with a four-win season in 2017. At No. 3 singles, Angelica Martinez was not able to get her seventh win on the season as dropped a 6-3, 6-4 decision to Melissa Laing. Caroline Nielsen defeated junior Nadia Hilton-Adams 6-1, 6-3 at No. 4 singles as Hilton-Adams ended her regular season with five wins.
Reigning rookie of the week from the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, Klara Smolikova lost at No. 5 singles and Kanishka Chawla lost at No. 6 singles. Smolikova and Chawla lead the Aggies in wins with eight apiece. The Aggies dropped all three doubles matches to lose the doubles point. The Aggies will take their burgeoning season into postseason play April 20-22 in the MEAC tournament in Norfolk, Va.
North Carolina A&T vs Queens University of Charlotte
4/12/2017 at Charlotte, N.C.
Queens University of Charlotte 7, North Carolina A&T 0
1. Carlotta Nassi (QUWTN) def. RAMIREZ,Sheyla (NCATW) 6-1, 7-5
2. Marta Gonzalez (QUWTN) def. POWELL,Khalia (NCATW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Melissa Laing (QUWTN) def. MARTINEZ,Angelica (NCATW) 6-3, 6-4
4. Caroline Nielsen (QUWTN) def. HILTON-ADAMS,Nadia (NCATW) 6-1, 6-3
5. Hannah Lehfeldt (QUWTN) def. SMOLIKOVA,Klara (NCATW) 8-5
6. Isabel Fornies (QUWTN) def. CHAWLA,Kanishka (NCATW) 8-2
1. Carlotta Nassi/Marta Gonzalez (QUWTN) def. POWELL,Khalia/HILTON-ADAMS,Nadia (NCATW) 8-0
2. Hannah Lehfeldt/Claire Hamilton (QUWTN) def. RAMIREZ,Sheyla/MARTINEZ,Angelica (NCATW) 8-5
3. Ana Bolson/Jaclyn Rock (QUWTN) def. SMOLIKOVA,Klara/CHAWLA,Kanishka (NCATW) 8-4