Aggies Win Doubles Point In Loss to Wofford
GREENSBORO (January 27, 2018) – The North Carolina A&T women’s tennis team lost to Wofford on Saturday, 6-1 at the Aggie Tennis Complex. The Aggies scored
“The women’s identification is coming in as a team who is willing to have grit throughout the match,” said coach William Crutchfield.
Winning the doubles point against such a tough team was a huge accomplishment for the Aggies as they took the No. 2 and 3 doubles matches. In the No. 2 spot, it was a pair of seniors in Khalia Powell and Nadia Hilton-Adams that secured the point for the Aggies as they defeated Curran Carver and Brittany Wilbur 7-5. Junior Angelica Martinez and sophomore Kanishka Chawla got the first doubles win at No. 3 doubles by defeating Lauren Reid and Samantha Russell 6-4.
Even though the Aggies were not able to come away with
“I am so proud of Chawla in being able to come back from being down in the last set 5-1, 30-love. She fought her way back to within two points of tying the score at 5-all,” said Crutchfield.
Martinez took her first set 7-6 after winning the tiebreaker. She then came up short losing the next two sets 6-3, 6-1 and falling to Reid in the No. 4 singles spot. In the No. 5 spot, it was Hilton-Adam going into three sets before being defeated by Wilbur 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.
Wofford vs North Carolina A&T
Wofford 6, North Carolina A&T 1
- Cassidy Hicks (WOFFORD) def. RAMIREZ,Sheyla (NCATW) 6-2, 6-4
- Jenna Vroman (WOFFORD) def. POWELL,Khalia (NCATW) 6-2, 6-3
- Curran Carver (WOFFORD) def. RUIZ RABADAN,Renata (NCATW) 6-4, 6-3
- Lauren Reid (WOFFORD) def. MARTINEZ,Angelica (NCATW) 6-7 (10-4), 6-3, 6-1
- Brittney Wilbur (WOFFORD) def. HILTON-ADAMS,Nadia (NCATW) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
- Annie Mayfield (WOFFORD) def. CHAWLA
,Kanishka(NCATW) 0-6, 7-6 (10-6), 6-4
- Cassidy Hicks/Jenna Vroman (WOFFORD) def. RAMIREZ,Sheyla/RUIZ RABADAN,Renata (NCATW) 6-3
- POWELL,Khalia/HILTON-ADAMS,Nadia (NCATW) def. Curran Carver/Brittney Wilbur (WOFFORD) 7-5
,Angelica/CHAWLA ,Kanishka(NCATW) def. Lauren Reid/Samantha Russell (WOFFORD) 6-4