PLEASANT, S.C. (February 18, 2018) – North Carolina A&T’s Kanishka Chawla and Angelica Martinez walked with their second win together as a doubles team, but College of Charleston outlasted the Aggies 7-0 Sunday.
Chawla and Martinez defeated Laura Arciniegas and Ava Turner 7-5 in the No. 3 position. Chawla and Martinez earned their first victory of the season together at Wofford on Jan. 27.
Back on Jan. 27, the Martinez/Chawla win paired with Khalia Powell/Nadia Hilton-Adams win helped the Aggies seize their first doubles point of the season. The two pairs came close to doing it again as Powell and Hilton-Adams came up short, falling to Rachel McNeely and Helena Nyikos 6-4. Sheyla Ramirez and Renata Ruiz lost at No. 1 doubles to give College of Charleston the doubles point.
In singles, it was Powell that took Rachel McNeely to a third set at No. 2 singles. Powell jumped out front early winning the first set 6-4. McNeely climbed her way back into the match taking the second set 6-3. Powell dropped the third set 10-4.
Another interesting and hard-fought match was between Ruiz and Anastasia Palaska in the No. 3 singles position. Ruiz forced a tiebreaker in the second set after losing the first, 6-2. She succumed to Palaska in the tiebreaker 10-7 after a challenging and crueling contest.
The Aggies will start Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference play against the defending MEAC champions S.C. State on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at the newly upgraded Hardeep Judge Tennis Center on the campus of S.C. State University.
N.C. A&T vs College of Charleston
Feb 18, 2018 at Mt. Pleasant, S.C.
Col. of Charleston 7, N.C. A&T 0
- Helena Nyikos (COFC) def. RAMIREZ, Sheyla (NCATW) 6-1, 6-1
- Rachel McNeely (COFC) def. POWELL, Khalia (NCATW) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
- Anastasia Palaska (COFC) def. RUIZ, Renata (NCATW) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
- Turner Yates (COFC) def. MARTINEZ, Angelica (NCATW) 6-0, 6-1
- Catalina Medici (COFC) def. HILTON-ADAMS, Nadia (NCATW) 6-2, 6-3
- Sarah Jane Jones (COFC) def. CHAWLA, Kanishka (NCATW) 7-5, 6-0
- Anastasia Palaska/Christi Woodson (COFC) def. RAMIREZ, Sheyla/RUIZ, Renata (NCATW) 6-1
- Helena Nyikos/Rachel McNeely (COFC) def. POWELL, Khalia/HILTON-ADAMS, Nadia (NCATW) 6-4
- MARTINEZ, Angelica/CHAWLA, Kanishka (NCATW) def. Laura Arciniegas/Ava Turner (COFC) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,4,6,5,2,3)