A&T Welcomes Power Five Georgia to Corbett
North Carolina A&T Women’s Basketball (3-5) vs. Georgia (7-1)
Date: Thursday, Dec. 14, 2017
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Facility: Corbett Sports Center
Series: Georgia leads the all-time series, 1-0
PROBABLE STARTERS: F Le’on Hill (6-2, So., 2.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg); G Cinia McCray (5-7, So., 9.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg); G Mikaya Wilson (5-7, So., 8.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg); G C’Coriea Foy (6-0, R-So., 13.9 ppg, 3.4 rpg); C Alexus Lessears (6-3, So., 7.8 ppg, 10.0 rpg).
AGGIES OVERVIEW: North Carolina A&T (3-5) takes on the SEC’s Georgia Bulldogs in their second of three consecutive games in Corbett Sports Center on Thursday. The Aggies posted a school-record 68 rebounds snapping a three-game losing streak in an impressive 94-42 win over Division II St. Augustine’s Monday night. Sophomore C’Coriea Foy finished with 20 points, eight rebounds, eight steals and five assists versus the Falcons. She is one of two Aggies averaging double figure scoring at 13.9 points followed by senior Kala Green’s 10.5 points. Sophomore center Alexus Lessears is averaging 10.0 rebounds and sophomore Shantell Bostick leads the squad averaging 3.8 assists.
GEORGIA OVERVIEW: Georgia (7-1) won their first seven games of the season before falling to No.2 Texas 81-53 their last time out. Under the direction of third year head coach Joni Taylor, Georgia went 16-15 last season with an 7-9 finish in the SEC. Three players are averaging double-digit scoring led by the duo of Mackenzie Engram (12.8) and Caliya Robinson (11.9). Both lead the team in rebounding averaging 6.8 per contest while Taja Cole is the team-leader averaging 5.4 assists.
LAST TIME OUT
The Aggies posted a school-record 68 rebounds, besting their old mark of 64 at Morgan State on Jan. 21, 2012 cruising to a 52-point margin of victory (94-42) against St. Augustine’s. The Aggies recorded 30 steals, one shy of the school-record 31 recorded at North Carolina Central on Feb. 21, 2011. N.C. A&T also forced 42 turnovers and recorded season-highs in points, field goals made (37) and attempted (93), free throws made (15) and attempted (33), rebounds and assists. Monday also marked the fewest points (42), field goals made (13), 3-point attempts (15) and assists (8) allowed by the Aggies this season. The Falcons 22.8 percent shooting is the lowest field goal percentage against the Aggies this season. Graduate transfer Jade Scaife scored in double figures for the first time as an Aggie with 11 points. Sophomore Chrishyanah Alston had her first career double-figure scoring game with 11 points. Sophomore Le’on Hill had a career-high nine rebounds, six steals and three blocks, while Shantell Bostick finished with a career-high eight assists.
FOY, HILL EARN MEAC WOMEN’S BASKETBALL WEEKLY HONORS
Sophomore guard C’Coriea Foy was named MEAC Women’s Basketball Co-Player of the Week while sophomore forward Le’on Hill was named Defensive Player of the Week, announced by the conference office on Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017. This is the second straight week an Aggie was named Defensive Player of the Week (Alexus Lessears).
NEWS & NOTES
- The Aggies are 3-1 in the Corbett Sports Center this season. In wins over Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and St. Augustine’s, they led with five minutes remaining, had more assists and finished with a better field goal percentage.
- N.C. A&T leads the MEAC in turnovers forced (24.88), turnover margin (5.38) and offensive rebounds per game (18.0). Nationally they are 5th in turnovers forced, seventh in offensive rebounds per game, 31st turnover margin and 36th in steals per game (11.3).
- Mikaya Wilson started in her first appearance of the season in the Aggies last outing, scoring eight points with three assists and a steal in 21 minutes of action. She went 4-for-6 from the field and used her speed to get to the basket. She transferred from App State.
- C’Coriea Foy has scored in double figures in six of her eight games this season. She has three consecutive games of double-figuring scoring with her 20-plus point performance vs. SAU.
- Jade Scaife posted season-highs in points (11), rebounds (6), steals (3), field goals made (4) and attempted (8), free throws made (3) and attempted against SAU. She recorded five or more rebounds for the third time this season.
- Chrishyanah Alston notched career-highs in points (11), rebounds (6), steals (3) and field goals made (4) in the win over SAU. Le’on Hill had career-highs in rebounds (9), steals (6), blocks (3) vs. SAU. She is second on the squad in blocked shots (0.9) and in rebounds (5.1). Cinia McCray tied a career-high in rebounds (6) while tying a season-high in steals (2).
- Quenswayla Story made her third start of the season in the Aggies last outing and finished with a season-high nine points. She also made her third 3-pointer of the season.
- Morgan Batie made her first appearance of the season making 1-of-2 free throws in seven minutes in N.C. A&T’s last outing.
- Kala Green leads the Aggies in minutes played (30.4) while ranking second in scoring (10.5), steals (1.9) and assists (2.9). She finished with a season-high in steals (4) versus SAU.
- Alexus Lessears led the Aggies in rebounding for the seventh time this season with nine while also making a season-high four free throws vs. SAU. She leads the Aggies in rebounds (10.0), blocked shots (1.0) and free throw attempts (5.1).