Aggie Women Start MEAC Play
North Carolina A&T Women’s Basketball (5-7, 0-0) vs. Delaware State (2-13, 1-1)
Date: Monday, Jan. 8, 2018
Time: 5:30 p.m.
Facility: Memorial Hall
Series: Delaware State leads, 34-33
PROBABLE STARTERS: F Le’on Hill (6-2, So., 2.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg); G Cinia McCray (5-7, So., 9.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg); G Shantell Bostick (5-7, So., 5.7 ppg, 3.0 rpg); G C’Coriea Foy (6-0, R-So., 14.2 ppg, 3.4 rpg); F Jade Scaife (6-1, Gr., 4.5 ppg, 3.9 rpg).
AGGIES OVERVIEW: North Carolina A&T begins their run at the 2018 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference crown traveling to Dover, Del. against Delaware State. The Aggies original conference opener against Norfolk State slated for Saturday, Jan. 6 was postponed due to inclement weather conditions for the Spartans. N.C. A&T went 5-7 against non-conference opponents and have won three of their last five games including two straight in Corbett Sports Center. The duo of C’Coriea Foy (14.2) and Kala Green (12.5) leads the Aggies in scoring while Alexus Leseears is the top rebounder at 9.3 and Foy is the Aggie leader in assists at 3.5 per game. The Aggies and the Hornets have met 67 times. N.C. A&T won 8 of their last 10 meetings including six consecutive dating back to Jan. 30, 2012.
DELAWARE STATE OVERVIEW: Delaware State (2-13, 1-1) snapped their nine-game losing streak with a 58-44 home victory on Saturday over South Carolina State. NaJai Pollard recorded 14 points (team high), 12 rebounds (game high), and four blocks (game high). Keke Barber tallied 12 points, and seven rebounds. Lanayjha Ashe added nine points, four assists (game high), and four steals (game high). Under the direction of third year head coach Barbara Burgess, Delaware State went 3-27 last season with a 2-14 finish in the MEAC. Ashe leads the Hornets ranking 22nd in league scoring averaging 10.4 points. She is also fifth in MEAC minutes played (35.71) and 12th in steals per game (1.93). Delaware State ranks second in the MEAC in turnovers per game (16.6) and fifth in fewest turnovers (232).
LAST TIME OUT
The Aggies cruised to a 90-40 win over NAIA St. Andrews at Corbett Sports Center on Tuesday. C’Coriea Foy became the first player to score 30 or more points during the six-year span for head coach Tarrell Robinson with 31 points and six rebounds on 12-for-23 shooting. Senior Quenswaya Story finished with a career-high 16 points and a season-high nine rebounds while senior Kala Green recorded her second career double-double with 13 points and 11 assists. A&T forced 39 turnovers and held a 40-2 advantage in points off turnovers. Morgan Batie, Alexus Lessears, Foy, Shantell Bostick and Green all had three steals apiece.
N.C. A&T host Morgan State and Coppin State in back-to-back games in the Corbett Sports Center. The Bears play the Aggies on Saturday, Jan. 13 at 2 p.m. while the Eagles are on Monday, Jan. 15 at 5:30 p.m.
NEWS & NOTES
- N.C. A&T is a perfect 5-0 when leading in the game with five minutes remaining. This season they have a 4-2 record when leading in 3-point field goal percentage, rebounds and assists and at home in the Corbett Sports Center. In all victories their opponents were held under 50 total points.
- Nationally, the Aggies are ranked sixth in turnovers forced (24.58), seventh in offensive rebounds per game (17) and 22nd in turnover margin (5.92). N.C. A&T leads the MEAC in those three categories as well as scoring offense (68.0), assist/turnover ratio (0.80) and assists per game (15.0).
- C’Coriea Foy scored a season-high 31 points vs. St. Andrews. The last player to score 30-pluspoints was JaQuayla Berry (31) vs. South Carolina St. on 1/22/11.
- Green dished out a career-high 11 assists vs. St. Andrews. The last player with a double-double in points and assists was Sharkea Glover (10 pts, 14 assists) at Florida A&M on 1/22/05.
- C’Coriea Foy, Morgan Batie and Quenswayla Story all recorded career-high point totals vs. St. Andrews.
- Coach Robinson holds a perfect 6-0 record vs. Delaware State.