North Carolina A&T Women’s Basketball (13-8, 8-1) at South Carolina State (9-11, 5-2); Savannah State (4-17, 3-5)
Date(s): Saturday, Feb. 10, 2018; Monday, Feb. 12, 2018
Time(s): 2 p.m.; 5:30 p.m.
Facilities: SHM Memorial Center, Orangeburg, S.C.; Tiger Arena, Savannah Ga.
Series: A&T leads 39-30; A&T leads 10-3
PROBABLE STARTERS: F Quenswayla Story (6-1, Sr., 6.0 ppg, 4.0 rpg); G Shantell Bostick (5-7, So., 5.6 ppg, 3.0 rpg); G Kala Green (5-9, So., 11.6 ppg, 3.2 rpg); G C’Coriea Foy (6-0, So., 13.1 ppg, 3.2 rpg); C Alexus Lessears (6-3, so., 8.0 ppg, 9.0 rpg).
AGGIES OVERVIEW: The Aggies play at South Carolina State on Saturday and at Savannah State Monday. North Carolina A&T State suffered their first conference loss of the season to Hampton but rebounded with a dominating win against Delaware State to sweep the season series. N.C. A&T has won seven of the last 10 meetings in the series including a 57-54 victory the last season in Orangeburg. The Aggies and Savannah State have played 13 times with N.C. A&T winning 10 of those games. A&T has won three straight in the series and four consecutive road games in the series. Two are scoring in double figures while another pair is averaging five-plus rebounds. C’Coriea Foy’s 13.1 points are a team-high while Kala Green powers the bench scoring with 11.6 points. Alexus Lessears (9.0) and Le’on Hill (5.6) are the top rebounders ranking third and 20th in the MEAC.
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE OVERVIEW: South Carolina State won their last two conference games with a 71-60 victory at SSU and a 67-65 overtime win over Coppin State. The Bulldogs are 4-3 at home and 3-2 against MEAC opponents. Doug Robertson, Jr., is in his ninth season with the Bulldogs and has already engineered a four-game improvement from last season’s 5-23 squad. In conference play, the Bulldogs are already three games better than last season’s 2-14 mark. In the MEAC play, Bryeasha Blair is fifth in scoring (14.5), third in free throw percentage (.807) and sixth in 3-point field goals made per game (1.7). Kyesha Lewis is 20th in scoring (10.3), sixth in 3-point field goal percentage (.346) and seventh in 3-ponit field goals made (36). Jaquanna Murray is fourth in blocked shots (1.5).
SAVANNAH STATE OVERVIEW: Savannah State has two wins in their last 15 games with their only conference win at Florida A&M 65-47. The Tigers are 2-5 at home this season and 0-5 against MEAC foes. Under the direction of 13-year head coach Cedric Baker, the Tigers won a MEAC title in 2015. The Tigers are 26-54 since taking the title and advancing to the NCAA tournament that season. In the MEAC, Kaylee Allen is second in scoring (16.3), fourth in free throw percentage (.758), tied for eighth in steals (2.0) while Alexxus Sowell is second in blocked shots (2.4) fifth in rebounding (7.8).
LAST TIME OUT
N.C. A&T rebounded from their first conference setback of the season against Hampton with a dominant 75-55 home win over Delaware State completing the season sweep. Four Aggies scored in double-figures and their lead grew to as many as 30 in the fourth quarter. C’Coriea Foy and Cinia McCray had 14 points apiece. Foy recorded four steals and made a pair of 3-pointers. Jade Scaife led the bench with 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds while Alexus Lessears also scored 12 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
NEWS & NOTES
- N.C. A&T has won six straight over the Bulldogs. The Aggies last loss to SCSU dates back to Feb. 16, 2013 when the Bulldogs defeated the Aggies 68-57 in Orangeburg. It stands as head coach Tarrell Robinson’s only loss in seven games to SCSU.
- Savannah State and N.C. A&T are the only teams who have been able to keep the MEAC tournament title away from Hampton over the past nine years. SSU took the MEAC title in 2015. On their way to the championship, they defeated N.C. A&T 62-59 in the tournament semifinals. The Aggies have won three straight over the Tigers by an average of 24.7 points since that tournament loss.
- Nationally, the Aggies are ranked in the top-50 in six categories; third in turnovers (23.81), ninth in offensive rebounds per game (17.0), 19th in rebounds per game (43.24), 23rd in turnover margin (5.52), 41st in free throw attempts (465), 48th in steals per game (10.1). N.C. A&T leads the MEAC in six categories; scoring offense (66.3), assists (313), offensive rebounds, rebounds per game, assists per game and turnovers forced.
- The Aggies won 10 of their last 12 games since the New Year and are ranked second in the MEAC behind Bethune-Cookman (17-4, 9-0 MEAC).
- Through nine conference games the Aggies are 7-0 when their bench has more points. They are 6-0 when leading at halftime and 6-0 when leading with five minutes to play in the game.
- Robinson is 6-1 against South Carolina State and 8-2 versus Savannah State.