North Carolina A&T Women’s Basketball (17-8,12-1 MEAC) at Florida A&M (6-20, 4-9 MEAC); Bethune-Cookman (21-4, 13-0 MEAC)
Date(s): Feb. 24, 2018; Feb. 26, 2018
Time(s): 4:00 p.m.; 5:30 p.m.
Facility: Lawson Center (Tallahassee, Fla.); Moore Gym (Daytona Beach, Fla.)
Series: Florida A&M leads 28-25; N.C. A&T leads B-CU 46-28
PROBABLE STARTERS: F Quenswayla Story (6-1, Sr., 5.9 ppg, 3.8 rpg); G Shantell Bostick (5-7, So., 5.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg); G Kala Green (5-9, Sr., 11.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg); G C’Coriea Foy (6-0, So., 13.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg); F Jade Scaife (6-1, Gr., 5.3 ppg, 4.2 rpg).
AGGIES OVERVIEW: N.C. A&T has three games remaining in the regular season with all three contests to take place on the road (at Florida A&M, Bethune-Cookman and N.C. Central). The Aggies head to play at Florida A&M before a show down with the No.1 ranked MEAC team, the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats on Monday. Last season N.C. A&T defeated FAMU 65-57 in Corbett extending their win streak in the series to five games. FAMU is 16-7 against the Aggies in the Lawson Center. Bethune-Cookman has won its last two meetings with the Aggies including a 65-60 win last season in Corbett. Two Aggies are scoring in double figures led by C’Coriea Foy’s 13.3 points with Kala Green averaging 11.4 points. Foy is the Aggie leader in steals (2.5), assists (3.3) and minutes played (27.7). Alexus Lessears leads N.C. A&T in both rebounding (9.0) and blocked shots (1.2).
FLORIDA A&M OVERVIEW: Florida A&M is 4-4 at home this season with a 3-2 mark against conference opponents. The Rattlers lost 59-44 at home to Morgan State their last time out and has just one victory in their last seven games. Under the direction of head coach LeDawn Gibson in her ninth season, FAMU went 13-19 last season with a 9-7 finish in the MEAC. Nationally, they are 19th in offensive rebounds (16) and 41st in turnovers forced (19.23. FAMU ranks second in the MEAC in 3-point field goals per game (5.3). Shakerrya Morrison is 16th in the nation in offensive rebounds per game (4), 52nd in rebounds per game (9.4), 78th in rebounds (234). Florence Ouattara is sixth in MEAC scoring (14.5) and nationally 58th in field goal attempts (407), 70th in 3-point field goals attempted )185), 79th in steals per game (2.36).
BETHUNE-COOKMAN OVERVIEW: Bethune-Cookman has won 13 straight games with their last loss coming at Miami, 85-39, on Dec. 28. Angel Golden leads the team in scoring averaging 16.0 points per game with Chasimmie Brown averaging 10.7 points. Under the direction Vanessa Blair-Lewis in her ninth season, B-CU went 21-11 last season with a 15-1 finish in the MEAC. Nationally, the Wildcats are 18th in win-loss percentage (84.0), 21st in both 3-point field goal defense (27.6) and blocked shot per game (5.3), 22nd in scoring defense (55.9), 29th in blocked shots (133), 38th in 3-point field goal percentage (26.6), 55th in fewest fouls (403), 69th in scoring margin (8.2), 83rd in rebounds per game (39.84). They lead the conference in assists (131), 3-point field goals made (166), 3-point field goals made per game (6.6), scoring defense, 3-point field goal defense, 3-point field goal percentage and win-loss percentage. Emily Williams leads the MEAC while ranking 73rd nationally in assist/turnover ratio. Golden leads the conference and ranks 34th nationally in 3-point field goals per game (2.84), 45th in 3-point field goal percentage (40.8) and 53rd in 3-point field goals made (71). Ashanti Hunt is second in the MEAC in free throw attempts (124) and third in assists per game (3.8).
NEWS & NOTES
- Nationally, the Aggies are ranked in the top-50 in turnovers forced (3rd, 23.28), offensive rebounds per game (5th, 17), rebounds per game (6th, 44.72), turnover margin (19th, 5.56), field goal percentage (27th, 36.3), free throw attempts (33rd, 551), 3-point field goal defense (37th, 28.6), rebounds (38th, 1,118).
- N.C. A&T leads the MEAC in six categories; assists (372), scoring offense (67.6), offensive rebounds per game, rebound margin, rebounds per game, scoring margin and turnovers forced.
- Alexus Lessears ranks 28th nationally and third in the MEAC in offensive rebounds per game (4.0) She is 69th nationally in rebounds per game (9.0) while C’Coriea Foy is 64th in the nation in steals per game (2.48).
- The Aggies went 12-3 with a 7-1 record against conference opponents at home this season. They are 5-0 in road conference games.
- Through 13 conference games, the Aggies are 10-0 when having more assists, when the opponent has more turnovers, when the bench has more points, when leading at halftime and leading with five minutes left in regulation.
- In six seasons, head coach Tarrell Robinson holds a 9-1 record against Florida A&M and is 8-3 versus Bethune-Cookman.